How to Upgrade Samsung Galaxy SII Firmware to Android 2.3.4 and Root the Device
Samsung Galaxy SII came with Android 2.3.3 and it doesn’t have an official firmware release for 2.3.4 yet, but if you have already rooted the device you can easily install a custom ROM to experience the benefits of Android 2.3.4 version.
With this new I9100XXKG2 custom ROM you can experience;
Increased battery life
- No more delay on home button
- Radio control button on home screen etc
How to Install I9100XXKG2 on Samsung Galaxy SII I9100
- Check whether you have installed Samsung USB Drivers properly
This procedure will wipe away all your contacts, messages apps etc and you’ll even have to root the device again. So, take backups of important stuff. Nothing will happen to the external SD card. Do it at your own risk. The author is not responsible if your device got damaged or bricked during the process.
- Unzip the main firmware file to find these five files inside.
- Make sure Samsung Kies is closed completely, because it blocks Odin.
- Power off your Galaxy SII phone.
- Hold Volume down key+ Home button key and press power on, skip the warning message and accept it. Now your phone is in download mode.
- Connect your phone through the USB cable and wait for the message ‘Added’ in Odin’s bottom left hand corner’s box
- Check Auto reboot & F. Reset time in Odin dialog box
- Select the files via Odin
PDA : CODE_I9100XXKG2_CL375027_REV02_user_low_ship.tar.m d5,
PHONE : MODEM_I9100XXKG2_REV_02_CL1037208.tar.md5,
CSC : GT-I9100-CSC-HOME-MULTI-OXAKG2.tar.md5
- Hit the start button and wait for the device to auto reboot and now you can unplug the USB cable from your computer.
Go to: Settings – About Phone and see now you have Android 2.3.4 on your Galaxy SII
How to Root XXKG2 firmware for Samsung Galaxy SII, running Android 2.3.4
- Make sure Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time are checked.
- Click on PDA button , and select file CF-Root-SGS2_XX_OXA_KG1-v4.1-CWM4.tar
- Boot your phone into download mode [switch off your phone, in switch off mode press and hold volume down key and middle key and while pressing both press power on button. Skip the warning message.
- Connect your phone to PC via USB cable and wait for the Added message in Odin’s bottom left hand corner’s box
- Hit start button of Odin and wait for the auto reboot of the device
After the process you will see a yellow exclamation mark at the startup. As usual we have to re-flash the stock kernel to remove it.
- Extract the zImage file inside the XXKG2 Original Kernel [Update].tar file
- Place it in the root of your SD memory
- Open CWM tool on your phone [You will get this after upgrading to the flashing the kernel]
- Select Flash Kernel and pick zImage
- Phone will automatically and reboot and you’re done.
Now you have a rooted Galaxy SII running Android 2.3.4